Countless women seek out plastic surgery every year to fix the physical changes that pregnancy can have on a woman’s body. But now, more and more men are seeking help to get their pre-dad bods back as well. Gaining sympathy weight during pregnancy isn’t a myth.
Some studies have shown that:
- Men gained an average of 14 pounds during their partner’s pregnancy
- On average, dads are 10 pounds heavier than non-dads
- Dad’s carry nearly an extra two inches on their waist; and their bellies stick out an extra half-inch
If your BMI is somewhere between 25 and 29, you probably have a dad-bod!
Check your BMI here: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
Emotional eating during a time of overwhelming stress is normal and to be expected
Unfortunately, there are many life challenges such as COVID-19, that can result in body changes. The world hasn’t experienced a pandemic like this since 1918.
If this sounds like you, you may be a candidate for a Dad Bod Do-Over. Men with their shirts off shouldn’t be afraid to “get in the picture” with their kids during a summer vacation on the beach. A Dad Bod Do-Over can help you find the confidence to happily jump in those pics. Modeling happiness and confidence is good for you and your kids.
A Dad Bod Do-Over isn’t just one procedure
A Dad Bod Do-Over is customized based on individual needs. Body types, areas of strengths and weaknesses, personal preferences, and specific goals are among considerations for which procedures are to be included in someone’s surgical plan.
Most often a Dad Bod Do-Over will include any of the following:
- SAFELipo to the circumferential trunk, which includes the entire area all the way around the body, extending to areas above and below, as needed. This always includes the abdomen and love handles, and many times includes SAFELipoHD for better visible male muscular anatomy.
- SAFELipoHD to the chest area to treat gynecomastia and lack of definition to the pectoral, deltoid, serratus, and latissimus areas. Many times, a unique form of fat grafting developed by The Wall Center’s Dr. Simeon Wall Jr called Expansion Vibration Lipofilling (EVL) is performed in conjunction with the treatment of gynecomastia in order to provide a more masculine and muscular chest and shoulder appearance.
- SSBA (SAFE Subcutaneous Buttock Augmentation) for masculinization and muscularization of the buttock area with targeted EVL using the fat harvested from the trunk.
Body contouring is a shaping tool and not a substitution for weight loss
These areas are often diet and exercise resistant as we get older, and many men benefit from body contouring to help them feel more confident. One important thing to make clear about comprehensive body contouring is, it’s a shaping tool, not a substitute for getting down to a reasonable weight. There isn’t a magic wand in the world that is going to instantly transform your married-with-children-bod into a married-to-the-gym-bod like Jason Momoa’s (but when there is, we will be first in line to offer it!) So with that unfortunate news, diet and exercise to achieve a reasonable weight, usually below a BMI of 32 for men, should always be included first before seeking surgery. Sometimes, BMI is not the most important factor, because some men have more, or less, external fat stores that can be treated effectively by SAFELipo.
Visceral fat can not be treated with liposuction
The best candidates do not have big “beer bellies” where most of their fat is visceral fat that can’t be treated with liposuction. A proper examination and consultation can tell you where you “hold your fat.”
SAFELipo and SAFELipo HD was developed by Dr. Simeon Wall Jr.
Although SAFELipo and SAFELipoHD are now offered widely by some of the world’s best plastic surgeons, it was developed right here in Shreveport, Louisiana, by Dr. Wall Jr in order to create drastic, harmonious, attractive results without the risks of burns, lumpiness, and other unfavorable results commonly seen with other methods. SAFELipo simply allows for drastic results and makes patients super happy without a significant risk of leaving them with something that looks weird or causes them a problem. Since SAFELipo and SAFELipoHD never use thermal or heat-generating devices, there is zero chance of a burn, eliminating a hyper-inflammatory process that causes disastrous results seen in some patients who had laser, ultrasound, radiofrequency, or plasma devices.
For more on why SAFELipo is such a game-changer, check out https://www.safelipo.com/
Liposuctioned fat can be transferred to other areas to enhance shape
Some patients will opt to have their liposuctioned fat transferred using EVL. This allows us to drastically change shape – like making a waist much smaller while making the shoulders wider.
For more on why and how Dr. Wall Jr developed EVL, check out https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29465484/ and https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/40/2/194/5697293
EVL is also a safer form of fat grafting because it allows for precise placement in specific tissue planes, which is important in buttock grafting https://www.avanceplasticsurgery.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/BBL-fat-migration.pdf
To see examples of the results you can expect from SAFELipo at the Wall Center, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery https://www.wallcenter.com/wall-center/gallery/body/safelipo/
Okay, so what’s recovery like afterwards? Afterall, you’re a tough guy but not THAT tough. Well, it’s not like waking up the next day after killing it in the gym comfortable, but recuperation after SAFELipo is well tolerated by most men.
However, it’s still important to:
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions
- Listen to your body
- Expect to return to work and other light duty activities after 1 week, sometimes 2 weeks, depending on your specific set of procedures
- Maintain a healthy diet and steady weight, so you can enjoy your results for years to come
The Ideal Candidate
An ideal candidate for the Daddy Make-Over procedure is someone:
- With a BMI under 32
- Who can maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Who can abstain from nicotine (exact amount of time before and after surgery is dependent on which procedures are performed)
- Who is healthy with no significant health conditions
Changing lives and giving our patients back their confidence is what we do! When you are ready to take that first step to changing your dad-bod to rad-bod, call us at (318) 520.8792.
A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. -Mark Twain